A glimpse into the life of a Mormon missionary (Elder Creer) as he serves a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He began serving in the Utah Salt Lake City Mission- Spanish speaking. On July 1, 2012, he was transferred to a new mission- the Utah Salt Lake City West Mission.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A great experience, great memories and great friends...

Hola Famila!
This was quite the eventful week! To start things off, thanks for the snacks Every Sunday night we get an hour and a half for movie time, and we have fiestas while we watch and eat all the snacks that people receive, so that's been fun. The last movie we watched was the biography about Thomas S. Monson which was sweet.
My hip is doing better; I am playing at like 75% now with no pain. Buuuuuuuuuut I broke my nose last Thursday playing ball haha. This 300 pound Samoan guy nailed me and it hurt really bad. The funny thing was right after he hit me he pulled out a tissue or napkin or something like he knew something bad was going to happen so he was prepared haha. Anyways to make a long story short, it was supposed to look like this ( l )  but instead it looked like this  ( L )  so it obviously needed to be fixed so I did it the old fashion way so we weren't late for class. I just put it back to straightness which hurt worse haha but now it’s straight so it's all good! I just had a headache for like a week so nothing too bad. Anyways other than that ball is going good. I am playing well and my jumper is falling from pretty much everywhere. Speaking of basketball it sounds like the NBA knew that I would be gone for the next two years because they are messing everything up and knew I wouldn't mind. Hopefully they still have a season, if not have fun with that Bry. If not there is always the WNBA..ha!
For the Spanish update, we started playing a new game because everyone was speaking so much Spanish that the "el Nativo" game wasn't working because nobody could ever tell who it was. The new game is called "La Mariposa"..the butterfly. If someone is caught speaking even one word of English they receive a card with a giant butterfly on it that says mariposa and they have to keep it until they hear someone else speaking English. Whoever has the card at the end of the day has to wear a super ugly leaf tie we found in the free bin the next day. It's been fun and my Spanish is improving! I haven't got the card yet either so that's good too.
Another exciting thing that happened was that we got our travel plans last Thursday! Those of us that are going to salt lake are leaving next Wednesday at 6am and then we go and have breakfast at the mission home or office or whatever it’s called so can't wait for that! We have met 7 other elders this week that are going to SLC Spanish. 6 of them just got here two weeks ago so they won't be out in the field for a while but the other one we met at dinner yesterday is from Chile and had to come to the mtc to learn English for 9 weeks and he seems like a really nice kid and it would definitely be nice to be companions with someone like him who is a native so they can help me with my Spanish.
It's crazy to think it's time for the field already, can't wait! Looking back the MTC has been a great experience, great memories and great friends. I am grateful for the district I got and know they will all be great missionaries. Looking back I am really grateful that I have a supportive family and friends. Not everyone has that and I have realized how lucky I am. I am also grateful that I was always counseled to never get a girlfriend before my mission and I am glad I followed that advice. I have seen how missionaries are distracted and don't have their minds on the work; totally not worth it because we are on the Lord's time not ours. So Bry, I advise you to do the same, trust me it will be worth it! Also Happy Birthday Aunt Arne and Mom!! Hope you have some good treats without me! Hope all is going well there, love ya!

Siempre Crean,
Elder Creer

No comments:

Post a Comment