A glimpse into the life of a Mormon missionary (Elder Creer) as he serves a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He began serving in the Utah Salt Lake City Mission- Spanish speaking. On July 1, 2012, he was transferred to a new mission- the Utah Salt Lake City West Mission.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

It Reminded Me of the Movie- Sandlot

Hola Famila!

This week went by really fast. Everyone keeps calling me Elder Believe. The food is not all that bad here so that is a relief. The Spanish is coming slowly, but its coming. Thanks Mom for the note with the scripture (Ether 12:27) talking about how the Lord will make weak things become strong. For me, my weakness is Spanish for sure- can't wait for that to be a strength!

Elder Shuster and I had our first "TRC" training last Friday where they bring in an investigator from outside the MTC who could actually be an investigator or just a member, we don't know. We get to teach English for the first 4 weeks for the TRC people. It went really smooth teaching in English compared to when we teach our teachers in Spanish. I can't wait until Spanish feels like that! It was amazing to see the Spirit guide the lesson and be the one teaching because I know that the words I was saying weren't coming from me. When we teach our teachers in Spanish, it gets frustrating sometimes because I know what I want to say in English but the words just aren't there yet in Spanish.

Basketball is going good too, we get to play 3 on 3 for 50 minutes every day except for P-day (preparation day) and Sunday. P-days mostly consist of doing laundry, writing letters, going to the temple and personal study time. But the temple is closed for the next few weeks for cleaning as well as the gym; so that is a major bummer!

On Saturday there was a 4th of July celebration even though it was only the 2nd. Haha. We got to go outside and watch the Stadium of Fire fireworks so that was pretty cool. It reminded me of the Sandlot, (remember that part Bry?) There was also a hot air balloon event. (I think that we went to it once a long time ago, didn't we?) One of the balloons tried to like land on the roof of one of the MTC buildings and there was security people everywhere haha it was funny.

We had some pretty good devotionals this week too. The best one was by Dallin H. Oaks' daughter. She was an amazing musician and she would be telling her story and then every time that she made a spiritual point she would play a hymn that related to it. It was really spiritual and awesome!

The was an Elder in our district who was struggling a little bit this week so we all decided to write letters to him. I felt inspired to write him my testimony and share the experience about my tumor with him. I don't know why I felt that way but I hope it will help him!

My companion also shared an experience that was impactful. He was telling us about when he converted a little over a year ago he had much persecution from his family and friends but he knew that the church was true so he stayed strong. He ended up baptizing his little brother. His brother didn't want anything to do with serving a mission. Elder Shuster wanted to wait to go on his mission so that he could work with his brother a little bit and try and help him gain a desire to serve. It didn't work out and Elder Shuster pursued his mission while his younger brother was still at home. He just got a letter yesterday with word that his brother decided to go on a mission. He has been called to serve in Mexico. Elder Shuster was so happy and I could see the joy that was on his face. His brother said that he always looked up to him and saw how the gospel changed his life.

This is just a reminder to me of how people are always watching us. Especially now that I am on a mission people will be watching me more than ever and it is so important that I am doing everything I can to make sure I am representing Christ.

Thanks for all your support and I hope all is going well there! I am missing our candy machine just a wee bit so do you think you can throw in some of the M&M's or something when you send me more of my old t-shirts? Haha thanks!

Con Amor,
Elder Creer

No comments:

Post a Comment