A glimpse into the life of a Mormon missionary (Elder Creer) as he serves a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He began serving in the Utah Salt Lake City Mission- Spanish speaking. On July 1, 2012, he was transferred to a new mission- the Utah Salt Lake City West Mission.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The things that can help my investigators I can apply to my own life...


Hola familia!
This week went pretty good except for the fact that I got news that my Broncos got destroyed by the Patriots, haha. A member who is a Patriots fan rubbed it in my face.
This week we had Zone Conference, which is the second one that I have been too. We got trainings from the Mission Presidency and the AP's. The focus of the trainings was the Book of Mormon. Something that I learned in the training that has already been helping me out a lot is how to use the Book of Mormon when teaching. I have gotten pretty good at using specific scriptures to help people and have been somewhat successful with that but after Zone Conference I found a different way to start using it which is helping me to read the Book of Mormon in a different way.
Before training, when I would read I would just look for good scriptures that would help our investigators with what they were going through. After the training I have been reading the Book of Mormon more. Trying to really understand what is happening and not just looking for scriptures. They taught us that it would be good for investigators to have a person or a story in the Book of Mormon that they could relate too. I think this is perfect because instead of just using a scripture to help the people we are teaching, we can teach them a story of a person who had a similar experience and then show them how they dealt with that experience. President Winn promised us that they (the investigators) would get a testimony of the Book of Mormon if they did this and I can already see it working. It is also helping me learn a lot more from my personal study because the things that I can apply to help my investigators I can also apply to my own life.
We got snow twice this week, which was kind of a surprise because it got up to 50 something earlier this week and then we woke up one morning and there was snow. Then the next day it was like 50 something again so it all melted and started getting warmer and warmer and then we woke up this morning and there was snow again, haha.  So the weather here is definitely unpredictable.
We had two baptisms this week. They were for a single mom and her daughter. It was kind of crazy how we found her at first. There was a returned missionary from Mexico who decided to pray one day before he went into the store to buy some food that he would find someone that the missionaries could teach. So he prayed and went into the store and found this mother. Then she and her daughter were baptized 3 weeks later. Cool story huh! They are a really nice family, we are still teaching the teenage son to try and help get him prepared too.
Hope all is going well there and love ya much!

Siempre Crean,
Elder Creer

No comments:

Post a Comment